If you recall, I was sending a 9 years old to Europe for the first time this summer. Well, he has been back (if you were wondering but I think you would have heard it on news if he got lost on the way). In his words, here was our exchange after he landed in Prague:
- How was it? The flight? – It was fine, good.
- Did you sleep? – Yeah, a little bit
- How was the transfer in Amsterdam? It was good, I was on a golfcart
- Did you eat, how was the food? It was good
You get the flow…and it kept going in that type of manner. So you probably know as much as I do. Clearly traveling to Europe alone when you are 9 is identical to walking to your friend’s house – just about as eventful. I was getting a bit of stares as to “why do you keep asking those questions, it is not a big deal”. After a few Skype calls, digging for info was a bit more fruitful:
- Grandpa was there to pick him up, luggage got there too
- Had no time through layover to buy anything (!?! big deal, apparently) was stuck in some small kids playroom for 10 minutes
- REALLY enjoyed the 2nd airline from Amsterdam to Prague – lots of food, great seats, drinks – hmmm, suspicious in my view so after a bit more probing – turns out he ended up in first class for the 90 mins flight – and asked if we could fly like that more often (yep and nope, better get used to the other way of flying).
- Got plenty of time on iPad – Dutch neighbor on the plane was very nice and impressed by his Clash of Clan skills (yay, I guess?)
- Dutch much better than French in service – Amsterdam won over Paris
- Didn’t lose anything
- Was a last person to get on a flight with the stewardess which felt like got the last available seat – not really but perception is everything
So something. Besides his increased confidence and certainty that if his brother did this trip, he would end up in Ethiopia – it counts as success. Just waiting to hear when he asks to go see his cousins in Perth 🙂
[…] all going to pick him up and then drive around Spain a bit. This was not a first for anyone – him flying solo to Europe or us doing Spain or Europe with 3 […]